Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Dec. 26, 2017: Love rules



My Southwest adventure/”soul” vacation – December 2017


Day V

It is a rich blessing in life to travel to distant places to explore and experience a variety of cultures. Interacting one-on-one with people who may not be like me, and who view the world differently, is a challenge I relish. In a word, it’s perfect.

I am then exponentially rewarded when I return to my quiet solitude. I am able to relive those experiences through writing.

Santa Fe is full of people who celebrate their existence through color, music, and food. The day after Christmas, I decide to investigate The Pantry for breakfast. I had been told by the clerk at El Rey Court that I could walk to it, it was right next door, and that it was “pretty good” for a longtime, locally owned restaurant.

From the instant that I walked into The Pantry, I had the sense that it was more than “pretty good,” and was inspired with a desire to capture and preserve its spirit in words.

I waited 10 minutes or so (groups waiting maybe 30 to 45 minutes to get a table) to get a seat at the bar. It had an old diner feel—low stools, a crowded dining room, additional rooms in the back for overflow diners, and short order cooks doing their magic within sight through an open window behind the bar into the kitchen.



It isn’t their art that inspires me, again, so much as their lives, themselves. I am fascinated by the choices people make in order to pursue their bliss.

I walk the less than 100 steps next door to El Rey, and finally sit elbow-to-elbow at the diner counter, watching the wait staff adeptly process food orders and seating customers, seeing them call diners by first name, watching the food come and go from the kitchen, taking in the menu and daily special choices, always some blend of American and Southwestern fare—with red or green chili sauce toppings, and institutionally-specific renditions of local dishes.

I opt for the daily special which is a thin-sliced prime rib covered in peppers, sautéed onions, and accompanied by two eggs, over “medium,” wheat toast, pantry fries, and green chili gravy. Oh my. The pantry fries are a specialty, red potatoes pan-cooked with onions and two kinds of paprika, and some secret seasoning.

The food orders kept flying out incredibly fast considering how many customers were seated or waiting. It was another A-plus experience. I decide I will have to go again, during my short visit – and hopefully, in future visits.

While seated, I met the young man who sat next to me on the bar stool. He had dark curly hair and a beard, and introduced himself as Noah. Noah volunteered that he was originally from New York and Connecticut, and had moved to Santa Fe a dozen or more years ago, following a fellow musician. They play in the local music scene. By day, Noah is a bartender at Santa Fe Bar & Grill, and age 40, said he was satisfied with his life. Except on one measure, he added. The relationship part.

That, of course, launched a discussion about the relationships we had just ended. Mine almost three years, his two. He astutely gauged that he has invested “in the wrong girl.” He said she had alcohol and drug issues, that he had seen as a warning sign but had chosen to ignore. I laughed, and noted that “she must have been very pretty!” He laughed, and replied that “yes, she was.”  He explained that looks were very important to him, and that he tended to be attracted to women younger than him. She was 28.

Noting the age difference, and the obvious red flags, I brought up that I had been reading “Attached,” a book by psychologist Amir Levine that provided a practical approach for people to understand adult attachment styles in order to improve their intimate romantic relationships.

Noah was interested, so I told him more. I suggested he pick up a copy of the book, and to “choose wisely” next time. He recommended several local places to eat, from his resident perspective. He also offered that he was working the lunch shift at the Santa Fe Bar & Grill tomorrow, Wednesday, and that it was a good place to eat and meet other locals as a solo traveler, suggesting that I would be comfortable there. I thought this was a good option, so I said I’d see him there.

The rest of the day, I went back downtown, toured the Georgia O’Keeffe museum using the audio app on my phone, with the earbuds I had brought with me. Renowned painter O’Keeffe was an enigmatic figure—who was mentored by famed American photographer Alfred Stieglitz (1864- 1946) who was 23 years her senior and ultimately became her life partner—and bucked the male-dominated art world at the time.

Stieglitz gave O'Keeffe her first gallery show in 1916 and the couple married in 1924. Their  winter-spring love, by the way, has been chronicled in movies and their many years of letter writing to one another have been preserved, studied, and shared as they reconciled the desires for work, their art, with a marriage, and are considered laced with the humanity and fragility that makes for a passion far more interesting than fiction. Considered the "mother of American modernism," O'Keeffe moved to New Mexico after her husband's death and was inspired by the landscape to create numerous well-known paintings. Georgia O'Keeffe died on March 6, 1986 at the age of 98.

A seven-minute video in the Museum was worth watching, as well, with footage of interviews with O’Keeffe in her elder years. She was remarkable, and though some locals commented during my visit that she was known to be “rude,” friends who knew her—and who were interviewed for the biopic video—said she was “witty, warm, and very human.” I thought that was a nice thing to say about someone. In addition, it caught my attention that O’Keeffe’s voice was recorded and played back on the video, saying, “here, I felt more like myself,” regarding her move to New Mexico from New York at age 62. I thought to myself, “wow, she made that move at ’62,’ maybe there is hope for me yet!” Of course, the images of O’Keeffe in her New Mexico surrounds are also iconic, as she was photographed in black-and-white images, and made herself available for these throughout her storied and prolific years in the high desert.

Here is a photo of O’Keeffe, at home in one of the two ranches she renovated to suit her, this taken in 1956 at age 69:

I also walked to visit the New Mexico Museum of Art, which was a disappointment to me except for the discovery of native artist Gustave Baumann, whose exhibition of life works included woodcut prints (like Everett Ruess’s chosen artform), as well as paintings, marionette creations, and sculptures. The pieces on display intrigued me, though I was most captivated by his prints, and I promised myself that I would keep an eye out for more information or a book about him. Best-known for his work as a printmaker, Baumann arrived in Santa Fe in 1918 and lived there until his death in 1971. Here is a link to a 2014 article about him: http://www.santafenewmexican.com/pasatiempo/performance/theater/wood-stock-gustave-baumann-s-marionettes/article_3527ea39-ed13-5b90-8f6b-991c9498789d.html


And a photo, circa 1969, of Gustave Baumann with his marionettes:



Day V also included encounters shortly thereafter with Anita (who later emailed me that her real name was Donna XX) at the local coffee shop, and with Kate Wheeler, owner of the Savory Spice Shop, who Anita introduced me to. In the short time that I engaged with Kate while making my purchases, she shared with me that she had moved and her demons had gone with her, when she went to Australia, but since moving to Santa Fe had encountered several major life challenges, convinced investors to back her spice business, was a former chef, teaching cooking classes and told me “I like you.” Thanks, Kate. And thanks, Santa Fe.

No comments:

Post a Comment