Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Dec. 23, 2017: Flagstaff jewels




My Southwest adventure/”soul” vacation – December 2017
Day II
December 23.
"Keeping wild places close to your heart” ~Ryanne Sebern
It’s Day 2 of my trip.
On Saturday, I set out in pursuit of connecting experiences in downtown Flagstaff—the locals call it “Flag” —finding a central place to park my Prius near Heritage Square and walking to places I had identified as initially interesting. My first stop was to see the inside of the historic Monte Vista hotel, which has for more than 90 years hosted everyone from celebrities and law-breakers to skiers, river runners, and business people.  While there, I looked at the artwork on the walls, absorbed the architectural details of the stunning lobby and stairwells, and talked with the clerk who was a longtime local resident. She had left and returned to her hometown for her recent life transition, explaining that Flag had a hold on her. Not only did it have a hold on her, she was 26, she said, but she had decided to live downtown and within walking distance of the much loved Monte Vista, and the job she truly enjoyed. I took pictures of the historic lobby, and also of a painting made by Bruce Aiken, father of Silas whose Airbnb apartment I was occupying during this two-day visit to Flag. Silas and his siblings were raised, by the way, on the floor of the Grand Canyon where artist Bruce maintained the pump house for the National Park Service: Link https://www.grandcanyonnews.com/news/2017/may/23/33-year-nps-vet-artist-bruce-aiken-recounts-grand-/  Here’s a fairly recent story about Silas’ unique childhood, too: https://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/arizona/grand-canyon/2016/04/08/grand-canyon-national-park-childhood/80498036/
Just a block or so away, I found breakfast on Heritage Square at a colorful, warm Chipotle-style pick-your-own ingredients breakfast at a place called Mix. While there, I was able to chat with the young waiter. I had noted his busy and attentive interest in helping the breakfast patrons, even though this was a pay-as-you-order establishment.  I overheard him say to another customer: “On a scale of one-to-ten, how ‘fresh and easy’ was your food?” It made me grin, and so when he stopped at my table to deliver my food, I told him I’d heard that and wondered if that was his own recitation or if his employers had prompted him to use such a line to engage with customers. He laughed and said it was his own invention. I commented that this was both outgoing and creative of him. He said he was happy to answer my questions, when I told him I was writing a book and interviewing people along the way about their transitions in life.
Interestingly, this young man shared that he knew that the one thing he wanted to change about himself was being less shy. He said that his leaving his hometown, a small town nearby in Arizona, to attend Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff was part of the solution to that personal challenge for him. Another part of the solution for his personal growth, he said, was choosing to study a helping profession – he said he had decided on Exercise Science as a major, and planned to become a Physical Therapist. He had personally experienced recovery from a concussion, from playing hockey, and been helped by a PT and so thought this a worthy endeavor. He added that his sister, a nurse, had influenced his direction, too, since she was happy with her chosen profession helping people.
Back outside Mix, I walked across the Heritage Square and met Delvin Huma of the Hopi nation, who was selling Cochina carvings he made himself, while his wife Tracy and three of their six children shopped for gifts in downtown Flagstaff. I bought White Bear, the Cochina in the center of Delvin's trio of tokens he has set down on the brick wall and explained to me what the carvings meant and who his people are.
Delvin agreed to allow me to videotape, and use his full name, as a way to share some of his story with others.  I shot a seven minute clip, we talked awhile longer than that, and compared notes about our respective life transitions. Delvin, it turns out, is not selling Cochinas for very much longer. He had earned an EMT certificate at community college some years ago, and was now attempting to enroll and complete his four-year degree in order to better his life for himself and his family.
Everyone is on their way to somewhere.
One of the other people I met that morning in Flag, at its delightful alpine setting high in the Coconino forest, is Ryanne Sebern, of Evolve Jewelry Studio.  Ryanne was kind enough to share a bit of her story with me about her transition to working full-time to fulfill her passion as an artist. Her children are 6 and 4, and the flexibility she has gained through being self-employed gives her more mom time with the kids, a priority, as well as allows her to fully  pursue her art with them close by.
We talked some about the tremendous discipline and organization it takes to run your own enterprise like she is doing. Ryanne, 43, had previously served as an outdoor guide, then later worked in the outfit's office, all the while working on her art part-time. But now she has taken the path to produce and promote her work at evolvejewelrystudio.com, through her longtime association with the Flagstaff Artists' Gallery cooperative on San Francisco Street in downtown Flag and elsewhere.
I could not resist the silver tree earrings, with the garnets, and fell in love with Ryanne's apt description of the conifer's strength, its ability to grow and sustain itself through the winter, and maintain beauty through its own seasonal transitions! It seemed fitting, on this particular sojourn of mine. She also gave me permission to stay in touch, and to include her story as I write the book about "personal growth during times of transition." The jewelry is stunning. Her marketing is pretty incredible, too. I've included her lovely bio here, and the link to her business, as well as the link to the Artists' Gallery.


No comments:

Post a Comment